This night, while in touch with the vibrating earth here in Italy, I was reflecting about two astrological associations. In a recent post on a horary forum about the Dakota pipeline and the sacred land of the native American Standing Rock Sioux tribe, I read that “Jupiter represents the petroleum”.
No explications, no source, just that statement.
Anyway, I do not agree at all and here is my reasoning. Comments are appreciated!
First of all, Jupiter is a benefic and brings wealth and positive things. From a superficial point of view, this seems to match: all of our economy depends on petroleum. It brings money. But is that all? I like to look deeper into things.
For me, Petroleum is best described by Saturn.
- The name derives from Latin: petra: “rock” + “oleum: “oil. Rocks are ruled by Saturn
- It consists of hydrocarbons of various molecular weights and other organic compounds. The name petroleum covers both naturally occurring unprocessed crude oil and petroleum products that are made up of refined crude oil. A fossil fuel, petroleum is formed when large quantities of dead organisms, usually zooplankton and algae, are buried underneath sedimentary rock and subjected to both intense heat and pressure.
In other word, Petroleum is made of dead organic material and pressure under the earth. All associable with Saturn.
- Is is a natural non -renewable resource. Endings and lacks are described by Saturn
- Petroleum is toxic and thus best associable with a malefic: The use of fossil fuels, such as petroleum will have a negative impact on Earth’s biosphere, damaging ecosystems through events such as oil spills and releasing a range of pollutants into the air including ground-level ozone and sulfur dioxide from sulfur impurities in fossil fuels. The burning of fossil fuels plays the major role in the current episode of global warming.
- Petroleum is black, sticky and smells badly, which does not agree with a benefic.
- Petroleum acts in two steps with water. First, if introduced into water, creates a film on the surface, which makes it impossible to snap air. Birds crossing this film, are covered by the sticky harmful oil, which inhibits them to fly. They die. Second, the petroleum, with time, sediments and covers the ocean’ s soil. It then destroys the habitats of many animals and is eaten by the fauna, which is toxic for them.
- Since petroleum rules the world’s economy, it is also called the “black gold”. Gold is a metal which is associated with the Sun, sparkling and shining. Saturn, in classical astrology, is opposed to the Sun, as he rules Aquarius. So Saturn is contrary to all what is signified by the Sun, which is especially life. So while the Sun describes life, Saturn describes that what destroys life.
Last but not least, the Native Americans, and all their brothers and sisters in spirit coming together to defend North Dakota from the pipeline, call them themselves the “water protectors”. Water is not only the most important resource on earth and the human body, but also described by the Moon, which opposes Saturn. (Cancer/Capricorn). Petroleum is one of the most toxic substances for water. And that’s the main reason, for why the Dakota people do not want the pipeline to pass through their territory. The pipeline is put under the earth (Saturn), where the holes are not easily found, especially small ones. But the petroleum, slowly, destroys soil and water, making the sacred land, the standing rocks (also Saturn) a toxic place, where the water (mainly the Missouri) is poisoned.
Do you still associate petroleum with benefic Jupiter??
PS: There is so much to learn about (and from!) the Native Americans. This article is only about the astrological association od Petroleum. But please SUPPORT the Tribal’s protest against the pipeline and get informed.
William Lilly, Christian Astrology (CA), p. 60
 Black is Saturn’s colour: CA, p. 57
 CA, p. 72
 Saturn also opposes the other luminary, the Moon (ruler of Cancer), from Capricorn.